- Kick harder, pull harder and increase your stroke rate (the frequency of your strokes)
- Improve your technique
The first option is what 99% of swimmers will do in order to speed up and move faster through the water. There is nothing wrong with this, in fact it’s required if you want to swim at your fastest. Though there is another side to the equation.
Kicking and pulling harder means you’ll tire quicker and lactic acid will kick in sooner than if you weren’t swimmer hard. There is a limit to how long you can swim at a faster pace if you’re working harder in order to swim quicker. There is an easier way to increase swim speed. You can improve your technique.
Improving your technique is not only easier than trying harder, it’s also a lot smarter! Learning to swim with great technique is important because:
- It reduces your frontal resistance – Resistance is what stops most swimmers from improving. Your body creates enormous resistance against the water, and the faster you travel in water the resistance increases exponentially.
- You can swim faster for longer – Let’s face it, excellent swimming technique might be hard to achieve if you’re not taught correctly, but I can tell you swimming with bad technique is MUCH harder. Once you learn how to swim correctly, you’ll be able to maintain a faster speed for double or triple the amount of time otherwise.
- You’ll feel 100x better – If you can master swimming technique swimming becomes incredibly fun because you’re confidence in the water will skyrocket, you’ll be lapping people over and over again and best of all you’ll have loads more energy in the water.
- You’ll look 100x better – It’s no secret that great swimming technique is awesome to watch. Watching an experienced swimmer glide effortlessly up and down the pool is like watching an eagle in flight. They are graceful, eloquent yet powerful in action.
There are two ways to swim faster. You can try harder by exerting more energy, or you can improve your swimming technique. One is the easy way, one is the hard way. By putting the two together gives magical results which can only be achieved by first learning correct swimming technique.